The parish continued to grow and become one of the most active parishes in the Diocese. In 1950, however, there came a crushing blow to parish development when the church was damaged by a series of fires. The parish reverted, almost overnight, to the status of earlier days when there was no church building.
The Pitcairn School Board, however, made the High School Auditorium available for parish use so that Sunday Mass could be celebrated. In addition, the Civitarese family donated the use of their theater, which for a short time became the scene of Sunday Mass.
In 1950 Father John Bosiet came to Pitcairn as pastor. He rebuilt the church and again it was ready for parish use. The parish conducted a drive for money to complete their rebuilding program. The second floor of the building was divided into classrooms and the first floor was used as a temporary church. The church was dedicated on November 19, 1956. The old church was converted to classrooms and a school cafeteria.
The school closed in 1969. In the 1970's the church was renovated, including the replacement of glass windows with stained glass windows. In 1986, the original church building was torn down and the church was remodeled. The second floor of the church/school building was renovated. The classrooms were removed and the space made into a social hall.
Beginning in 2007, the pastors of North American Martyrs Parish and St. Michael Parish, Pitcairn began discussions on a possible merger. In early 2009, the formal merger process began with the parishes meeting with diocesan officials, holding parish town hall meetings, and seeking parishioner feedback. The study recommended that the two parishes merge, that the parish retain the name of North American Martyrs and that both churches remain open to serve the parish. The recommendations were accepted and the merger took place on September 4, 2010.
Current view of the Altar at St. Michael
Current view of St. Michael